From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: Roman Zilka <zilka@×××××××.cz>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Strangeness in dep calculation
Date: Tue, 05 Jul 2011 08:02:49
1 On Tuesday 05 July 2011 00:18:48 Roman Zilka did opine thusly:
2 > > I think this is the root cause of your questions. You say
3 > > "portage has no way to know the difference" - who says that is
4 > > true? Did you assume it?
5 >
6 > It sure is possible. I assumed what I did because the ebuild of a
7 > virtual and a normal package reveal no differences relevant to this,
8 > as it seems to me with my level of knowledge. Also, asking for a
9 > virtual as a runtime dep is done in the same way as asking for any
10 > other package. Furthermore, the manpage for emerge says nothing
11 > about the virtuals being different w.r.t. --update or any other
12 > option.
13
14 Let's face it, it's quite a reasonable assumption.
15
16 If you still want (need?) a proper answer, post a bug at b.g.o. with
17 clear examples and wait for Zac to answer up.
18
19 I'm tending toward what you see is the intended behaviour, but poorly
20 documented at this point.
24 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com