From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Disable fcron logging
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2010 22:19:34
1 On Sunday 22 August 2010 22:39:47 Alex Schuster wrote:
2 > Stroller writes:
3 > > The script with which you reply is missing the sleep 60 loop.
4 >
5 > No, it's only the script that outputs the drive's state. It's called by
6 > ~/.kde4/Autostart/hdstate:
7 >
8 > #!/bin/bash
9 >
10 > while :
11 > do
12 > /usr/local/sbin/hdstate >> ~/log/hdstate.log
13 > sleep 10
14 > done
15 >
16 > > Running a script which contains `while true ... sleep 60` will cause
17 > > only a single logging action. You can run it as root at startup using /
18 > > etc/conf.d/local.start and have the file world readable.
19 >
20 > Yeah, local.start woudl also be a good idea, without the need to setuid
21 > things. Maybe I'll change this.
22 >
23 > BTW, my two additional drives spin up when I log into KDE. Weird, they are
24 > not even mounted.
25
26 From KDE-4.4.4 the start up interferes with the hard drives:
27
28 http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.user/232044
29
30 I don't why but it does, messes up any settings that hdparm may have set up
31 and p*sses me off. o_O
32
33 As soon as KDE starts up (even when waking up from suspend to ram) it resets
34 the drives. I haven't found a way of telling it how to behave (i.e. by
35 respecting existing settings in hdparm).
36 --
37 Regards,
38 Mick