From: Willie Wong <wwong@×××××××××.EDU>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] USB, udev, and SCSI emulation
Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2006 19:31:42
1 On Thu, Mar 02, 2006 at 10:44:10AM -0800, Penguin Lover Wes Gray squawked:
2 > I've been researching getting my camera to work and I have a few questions.
3 > I'm running udev and kernel 2.6.15.1.
4 >
5 > 1) For USB mass storage to work do I still need SCSI emulation or does udev
6 > remove that requirement?
7
8 no. (deliberately ambiguous here to a either/or question)
11 > 2) If so do I still need to pass the kernel parameter hdc=ide-scsi?
12
13 no. that's only for scsi emulation of IDE devices, like DVD/CDR drives
14 for example. And to my knowledge it is no longer used nowadays as
15 cdrecord et al started supporting ATAPI...
18 > 3) Should SCSI emulation be automatic with udev, or might I need to write
19 > a rule for it?
20
21 first.
22 >
23 > 4) If SCSI emulation is working will I alway see a line in dmesg about a
24 > new SCSI device? Most howto's seem to suggest this but I want to
25 > be sure.
26
27 generally, no. You should see a line (or many lines, actually),
28 after plugging in your camera, about a mass storage device found.
31 > 5) Any other things I ought to be looking at?
34 http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_USB_Mass_Storage_Device
35
36 W
37 --
38 Pintsize: The Borg were hot.
39 Sortir en Pantoufles: up 110 days, 11:44
40 --
41 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list