From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Xorg 1.9.2 and wrong display size
Date: Mon, 03 Jan 2011 18:54:46
1 On Monday 03 January 2011 17:12:11 felix@×××××××.com wrote:
2 > On Mon, Jan 03, 2011 at 09:37:23AM +0000, Mick wrote:
3 > > KMS won't work with framebuffer modules like vesa/uvesa/radeonfb/etc.
4 > > unless you also add nomodeset at the kernel line in GRUB.
5 >
6 > I'm not using those modules. Unless KMS actively breaks because those
7 > modules exist but aren't loaded, I don't see how framebuffer modules
8 > are the problem.
9 >
10 > > http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/xorg-config.xm
11
12 I don't know because on my boxen I had the framebuffer modules built in the
13 kernel. Therefore I had to recompile the kernel with all the KMS settings as
14 suggested in the article above and remove the framebuffer modules completely.
17 > I added VIDEO_CARDS and remerged xorg-server and xorg-drivers. This
18 > made no difference; the log file is exactly the same other than a
19 > minor Mhz change.
20 >
21 > > http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/desktop/x/x11/xorg-server-1.8-upgrade-guide
22 > > .xml
23 >
24 > It tells how to set up a config file for 1.8, which I had working
25 > without a config file, so this particular upgrade guide seems rather
26 > useless. My only problem is that 1.9.2 doesn't set the right screen
27 > size. That probably does point to KMS in some manner, but a 1.8
28 > upgrade guide doesn't deal with it.
29
30 I think that the solution is probably to go for the full KMS approach and
31 remove the framebuffer modules as already suggested. Then come back if it
32 doesn't work.
33
34 The xorg-server-1.8 migration is necessary if you need to configure particular
35 devices. HAL and its fdi files are no longer used. In absence of any other
36 configuration files under /etc/X11/*, xorg will use the files in
37 /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/* which may or may not agree with your hardware.
38 That's what the xorg-server-1.8 migration URL is for.
39 --
40 Regards,
41 Mick