From: bn <brullonulla@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] upgrading from kernel 2.6.24-rc6 to latest kernel
Date: Tue, 12 May 2009 08:12:18
1 Hi,
2
3 My Gentoo laptop is a Macbook Pro SantaRosa (late 2007, probably
4 MA896LL/A , following wikipedia). Since I use it for work I've always
5 been quite conservative with it... it is an x86 machine and I upgrade
6 things only after having read things here and there on the ML and
7 possibly elsewhere (Still have to upgrade xorg, for example, will do it
8 soon).
9
10 The oldest piece I haven't touched is the kernel. It is 2.6.24-rc6
11 vanilla-sources, which were the first mostly working with the laptop...
12 and never touched since.
13
14 Now I want to ask the list:
15 1) Does anyone have a recent kernel config for this kind of machine?
16 2) What are the caveats and pitfalls I should be aware of when upgrading
17 to latest kernel? I confess that reading CHANGELOGs didn't help me too
18 much, quite confusing.
19
20 Also, I wonder if portage's madwifi now supports the Macbook Pro
21 chipset... I had to use SVN one at the time.
22
23 thanks,
24 m.