From: Daniel Campbell <zlg@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] from Firefox52: NO pure ALSA?, WAS: Firefox 49.0 & Youtube... Audio: No
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2016 01:19:57
1 On Wed, Dec 21, 2016 at 07:53:51AM -0500, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Tue, Dec 20, 2016 at 10:49 PM, Daniel Campbell <zlg@g.o> wrote:
3 > > On 12/20/2016 06:33 PM, Rich Freeman wrote:
4 > >> We don't have some
5 > >> committee on high pick a winner and tell all the maintainers that they
6 > >> all have to move from supporting x to supporting y.
7 > >
8 > > Fair points across the board but this stood out to me. We *do* have
9 > > groups that, on some subset of the tree, exert what they feel to be
10 > > winners. QA, the KDE team, and GNOME team have all made formal
11 > > recommendations or requirements that they expect to see in ebuilds going
12 > > forward. QA is blessed by council of course, so they have a bit more
13 > > sway. But we're lying if we say we don't have committees making
14 > > decisions on packaging guidelines.
15 > >
16 > > That's not the same as choosing a single package and telling every one
17 > > to scram, but we're not hands-off, either.
20 > Anybody wishing to add stuff to the main repository does not get a
21 > choice in following QA policy (though these matters can be appealed to
22 > the Council). However, their policies for the most part are fairly
23 > sensible and concern stuff like listing things as a dependency if you
24 > link to them and so on.
25 >
26 > KDE and GNOME developers work as a team, but these teams do not have
27 > any exclusive control over anything in the tree. If a Gentoo
28 > developer doesn't like what they've done with kmail they can add a
29 > kmail2 or kmail-rich0 or whatever that works they way they want it to.
30 > Heck, if a bunch of devs wanted to do their own thing they could start
31 > a kde-improved team if they wanted to.
32
33 Right, I'm not disagreeing with any of that. I was just pointing out
34 that we *do* have teams that enforce their view of how packages should
35 be handled -- whether with Council's authority (QA) or not (others).
36 Some groups attempt to assert control over certain USE flags, too. Most
37 of the time we just aim for consistency with flags, so I can't fault
38 that. But we're lying to ourselves if we pretend that there aren't
39 groups within Gentoo who exert policy against others and make package
40 decisions, be it legitimate or otherwise.
41
42 If you want examples, look at gtk <-> gtk2 <-> gtk3, or qt <-> qt4 <->
43 qt5. Or memcache -> memcached, bikeshedding wrt virtual providers, etc.
44 At a certain point, teams are given the go-ahead by someone in authority
45 (QA or Council usually) to make sweeping changes or urge maintainers to
46 make changes. I'm not saying this is 100% bad; I'm just ensuring we stay
47 honest about what we do as a distro.
48
49 No value statements are intended.
52 > In general this doesn't happen, because the developers interested in
53 > maintaining these packages tend to agree on how they want to maintain
54 > them, or at least they don't care enough to bother with forking them.
55 >
56 > How do you think we ended up with eudev?
57
58 I assume we ended up with eudev because upstream decided that
59 they were going back on their promise that udev would remain usable
60 without systemd. (I can fish up the e-mail -- sent by Lennart himself
61 -- if you'd like. It may take some time) To this day it still is, but
62 that's only until the successor to kdbus wriggles itself into the
63 kernel. At that point, they will have the leverage (and the excuse, in
64 their minds) to drop all support for udev outside of systemd.
65
66 eudev is an attempt to retain udev as it was originally -- init
67 agnostic. At some point in the future, it will become the only way to
68 get udev outside of systemd.
71 > --
72 > Rich