From: Harry Putnam <reader@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: WAS [.. min install isos] gentoo vm guest not booting
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2011 01:01:04
1 Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> writes:
2
3 > On Sun, 26 Jun 2011 13:34:56 -0500, Harry Putnam wrote:
4 >
5 >> (From chrooted shell)
6 >>
7 >> root@sysresccd /dev % ls -l console null
8 >> crw-rw---- 1 root root 5, 1 Jun 26 17:33 console
9 >> crw-rw---- 1 root root 1, 3 Jun 26 17:33 null
10 >
11 > When you chroot to the install root, you normally bind mount dev first,
12 > so I would expect those files to be there. Are they there before you
13 > chroot or bind mount anything?
14
15 No... and I'm now getting it that they should be.
16
17 Anyway, I'm downloading the latest stage3 I found (06/14) I'll explode
18 it in a test directory and see whats there. I've emerged so much
19 stuff now on the one I been working on that I hate to bugger it up if
20 there is much chance of salvaging it. All those kernel builds left
21 lots of time for emerging all my pet stuff.
22
23 ok, a freshly exploded stage3 from 06/14 shows only null being an
24 un-bound /dev/ and its a plain file
25 # ls -l
26 -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 0 Jun 14 13:08 null
27
28 So now I've got them in place BEFORE binding to the install media
29 /dev.
30
31 ls -l /mnt/gentoo/dev
32
33 ------- --------- ---=--- --------- --------
34 Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> writes:
35
36 [...]
39 > I'm very curious - did you happen to try appending something like
40 >
41 > init=/sbin/init 1
42 >
43 > to the boot kernel command and seeing what happens? That might be
44 > instructive about where it's really getting to or what is stopping it
45 > from proceeding.
46
47 No, haven't done that yet. In fact with /dev/console and dev/null
48 created in an un-bound /dev as sharp eyed Neil pointed out, I can now
49 get farther in the boot process.
50
51 However, now I'm running into many other problems and still no boot.
52 many tty could not be accessed but then on reboot with SystemRescueCD
53 again, I see they were generated into /dev/ but are not character
54 files.
55
56 There was some kind of problem with fsck and at least 2 other
57 problems something to do with urandom and another I lost track of.
58
59 At this point, I'm going to scrap the guest as by now I don't know if
60 I'm coming or going with this thing. Boot process has written junk
61 into dev/, I've written junk into dev/ so I'm starting clean.
62
63 I've downloaded a new stg3, new snapshot of portage so I'm going to
64 try with all untampered with stuff.
65
66 I guess I am to create /dev/null and /dev/console again as per
67 instructions (that is, in an un-bound /mnt/gentoo/dev/)
68
69 (Is it normal to find `null' created as a regular file in dev/ (before
70 any tampering?)
71
72 Install vim, eix, reiserfsprogs, rsyslog, grub and gentoo-sources.
73 Build the kernel, then see what happens. (using your config again)
74
75 If it doesn't boot I'll boot to single mode as you requested and see
76 what I see.