From: Nick Rout <nick@×××××××.nz>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] gnome complains about "no mixer elements and/or device" on login
Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2005 06:53:16
1 When I log into gnome I get a dialog with the following message:
2
3 "Sorry, no mixer elements and/or devices found"
4
5 Advcie from google and forums.g.o seems to point to the following likely
6 solutions:
7
8 1. make sure user has ability to do audio - yes I can, and everything I
9 run in gnome produces audio output when it should (mplayer, xmms,
10 mpg123, xine, whatever)
11
12 2. run gst-register-0.8 - done it, more than once. Doesn't complain
13 about any problems, but makes no difference even after a reboot.
14
15 Thats about a summary of the suggested fixes and the results. I figured
16 that the error seemed to be on running gnome-volume-control, so when i
17 run it from an xterm I get the following:
18
19 nick@sf /home/torrents/nick $ gnome-volume-control
20
21 ** (gnome-volume-control:19921): CRITICAL **: how to remove plugins?
22
23 (gnome-volume-control:19921): GStreamer-CRITICAL **: Factory for
24 `ossmixer' has no type. This probably means the plugin wasn't found
25 because the registry is broken. The plugin GStreamer was looking for is
26 named 'ossaudio' and is expected in file
27 '/usr/lib/gstreamer-0.8/libgstossaudio.so'. The registry for this plugin
28 is located at '/var/lib/cache/gstreamer-0.8/registry.xml'
29
30 ** (gnome-volume-control:19921): CRITICAL **: how to remove plugins?
31
32 (gnome-volume-control:19921): GStreamer-CRITICAL **: Factory for
33 `alsamixer' has no type. This probably means the plugin wasn't found
34 because the registry is broken. The plugin GStreamer was looking for is
35 named 'alsa' and is expected in file
36 '/usr/lib/gstreamer-0.8/libgstalsa.so'. The registry for this plugin is
37 located at '/var/lib/cache/gstreamer-0.8/registry.xml'
40 OK well it looks like something is missing. I though gst-register-0.8
41 was supposed to sort all that out.
42
43 What am I missing or what do I do to fix this? Can I safely
44 delete /var/lib/cache/gstreamer-0.8/registry.xml and re-run the register
45 program and see if that makes a difference? Or will i break something?
48 As sound is in fact working in all apps I use, its not such a worry,
49 just a sign that something is broken, and if something is broken it may
50 get worse down the track.
51 --
52 Nick Rout <nick@×××××××.nz>
55 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list