From: Dale <dalek@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Need help with USE options.
Date: Tue, 03 Jan 2006 08:26:02
1 Dale wrote:
5 > That is how I remove old KDE after a big upgrade too, one at a time
6 > and then confirm with the -p at the end to make sure I got it all.
7 > I'll go to work on it tomorrow. I'm still half asleep and it may not
8 > be a good idea right now.
9 >
10 > And to think I cleaned off a hard drive for the install. o_O And
11 > cleaned off my back-up to do that too. O_O
12 >
13 > Thanks
14 > Dale
15 > :-)
19 Well, tomorrow turned into a few days, long story. This is what I got
20 it cleaned down to so far:
21
22 > >>> These are the packages that I would unmerge:
23 >
24 > gnome-base/libbonoboui
25 > selected: 2.10.1
26 > protected: none
27 > omitted: none
28 >
29 > dev-libs/libcdio
30 > selected: 0.73
31 > protected: none
32 > omitted: none
33 >
34 > dev-cpp/libgnomemm
35 > selected: 2.6.0
36 > protected: none
37 > omitted: none
38 >
39 > kde-base/kdepim
40 > selected: 3.4.1-r2
41 > protected: none
42 > omitted: none
43 >
44 > media-video/vcdimager
45 > selected: 0.7.21
46 > protected: none
47 > omitted: none
48 >
49 > app-shells/sash
50 > selected: 3.7
51 > protected: none
52 > omitted: none
53 >
54 > kde-base/kdewebdev
55 > selected: 3.4.1
56 > protected: none
57 > omitted: none
58 >
59 > dev-libs/libtasn1
60 > selected: 0.2.13
61 > protected: none
62 > omitted: none
63 >
64 > dev-libs/lzo
65 > selected: 1.08-r1
66 > protected: none
67 > omitted: none
68 >
69 > app-arch/ncompress
70 > selected: 4.2.4-r1
71 > protected: none
72 > omitted: none
73 >
74 > kde-base/kdeadmin
75 > selected: 3.4.1
76 > protected: none
77 > omitted: none
78 >
79 > kde-base/kdeedu
80 > selected: 3.4.1-r1
81 > protected: none
82 > omitted: none
83 >
84 > sys-fs/cryptsetup-luks
85 > selected: 1.0.1-r1
86 > protected: none
87 > omitted: none
88 >
89 > media-video/avifile
90 > selected: 0.7.41.20041001-r1
91 > protected: none
92 > omitted: none
93 >
94 > gnome-base/libgnomeprintui
95 > selected: 2.10.2
96 > protected: none
97 > omitted: none
98 >
99 > dev-cpp/libglademm
100 > selected: 2.4.1
101 > protected: none
102 > omitted: none
103 >
104 > gnome-base/libbonobo
105 > selected: 2.10.1
106 > protected: none
107 > omitted: none
108 >
109 > net-print/libgnomecups
110 > selected: 0.2.0
111 > protected: none
112 > omitted: none
113 >
114 > x11-themes/gtk-engines
115 > selected: 2.6.5
116 > protected: none
117 > omitted: none
118 >
119 > kde-base/kdeaddons
120 > selected: 3.4.1
121 > protected: none
122 > omitted: none
123 >
124 > sys-libs/lib-compat
125 > selected: 1.4
126 > protected: none
127 > omitted: none
128 >
129 > gnome-base/libgnome
130 > selected: 2.10.1-r1
131 > protected: none
132 > omitted: none
133 >
134 > sys-fs/device-mapper
135 > selected: 1.01.03
136 > protected: none
137 > omitted: none
138 >
139 > gnome-base/libgnomeui
140 > selected: 2.10.1
141 > protected: none
142 > omitted: none
143 >
144 > net-libs/libsoup
145 > selected: 2.2.6.1
146 > protected: none
147 > omitted: none
148 >
149 > kde-base/kdemultimedia
150 > selected: 3.4.1-r1
151 > protected: none
152 > omitted: none
153 >
154 > net-libs/gnutls
155 > selected: 1.2.3
156 > protected: none
157 > omitted: none
158 >
159 > kde-base/kdetoys
160 > selected: 3.4.1
161 > protected: none
162 > omitted: none
163 >
164 > gnome-extra/libgtkhtml
165 > selected: 2.6.3
166 > protected: none
167 > omitted: none
168 >
169 > gnome-base/libgnomeprint
170 > selected: 2.10.3
171 > protected: none
172 > omitted: none
173 >
174 > dev-cpp/libgnomeuimm
175 > selected: 2.6.0
176 > protected: none
177 > omitted: none
178 >
179 > kde-base/kdegraphics
180 > selected: 3.4.1-r1
181 > protected: none
182 > omitted: none
183 >
184 > dev-cpp/libgnomecanvasmm
185 > selected: 2.6.1
186 > protected: none
187 > omitted: none
188 >
189 > kde-base/kdenetwork
190 > selected: 3.4.1-r1
191 > protected: none
192 > omitted: none
193 >
194 > kde-base/kdegames
195 > selected: 3.4.1
196 > protected: none
197 > omitted: none
198 >
199 > kde-base/kdeartwork
200 > selected: 3.4.1
201 > protected: none
202 > omitted: none
203 >
204 > media-libs/libsndfile
205 > selected: 1.0.11
206 > protected: none
207 > omitted: none
208 >
209 > kde-base/kdebase
210 > selected: 3.4.1-r1
211 > protected: none
212 > omitted: none
213 >
214 > gnome-base/libgnomecanvas
215 > selected: 2.10.2
216 > protected: none
217 > omitted: none
218 >
219 > kde-base/kdeutils
220 > selected: 3.4.1
221 > protected: none
222 > omitted: none
223 >
224 > >>> 'Selected' packages are slated for removal.
225 > >>> 'Protected' and 'omitted' packages will not be removed.
228 > Packages installed: 658
229 > Packages in world: 90
230 > Packages in system: 59
231 > Unique package names: 618
232 > Required packages: 634
233 > Number to remove: 40
234 > root@smoker / #
238 Is there anything on there that will break something? I mean to a point
239 where KDE won't start or I can't boot at all. If so, please let me
240 know. I will not do the ones that have KDE in it though. I plan to do
241 this one or two packages at a time manually.
242
243 Oh, revdep-rebuild -p prints out a laundry list of broken stuff. I
244 think if I get rid of some of these it will clear that up though. I
245 think anyway.
246
247 Here is my USE line according to emerge info:
248
249 > USE="x86 3dnow X acl acpi alsa amd apm arts artsd artswrappersuid
250 > audiofile avi berkdb bitmap-fonts bzip2 cdr chroot clanJavaScript cups
251 > curl dbus doc emboss encode esd ethereal exif expat f-prot fam fdftk
252 > ffmpeg foomaticdb fortran gaim gcj gd gdbm gif gimpprint gkrellm glut
253 > gmp gphoto2 gpm gstreamer gtk gtk2 hal hbci hpijs idn imagemagick
254 > imlib innodb ipv6 java javascript jbig jpeg justify kde lcms libg++
255 > libwww mad mikmod mmx mng motif mozdomi mozilla mp3 mpeg ncurses nls
256 > nsplugin offensive ofx ogg oggvorbis opengl openoffice pam
257 > parse-clocks pcre pdflib perl png ppds pysol python qt quicktime
258 > readline scanner scribus sdl spell sse ssl tcltk tcpd tiff tkinter
259 > truetype truetype-fonts tuxracer type1-fonts udev usb vorbis xml xml2
260 > xmms xprint xv xvid yahoo zlib userland_GNU kernel_linux elibc_glibc"
263 I assume that puts my line in make.conf and the global thing together.
264 Some of those I didn't set. See anything that needs changing??
267 Thanks for the help. I'm still sleepy though. I'll take another nap.
268 What I need is a cure here.
269
270 Dale
271 :-)
275 To err is human, I'm most certainly human.
276
277 I have four rigs:
278
279 1: Home built; Abit NF7 ver 2.0 w/ AMD 2500+ CPU, 1GB of ram and right now two 80GB hard drives. Named Smoker
280 2: Home built; Iwill KK266-R w/ AMD 1GHz CPU, 256MBs of ram and a 4GB drive. Named Swifty
281 3: Home built; Gigabyte GA-71XE4 w/ 800MHz CPU, 224MBs of ram and a 2.5GB drive. Named Pokey
282 4: Compaq Proliant 6000 Server w/ Quad 200MHz CPUs, 128MBs of ram and a 4.3GB SCSI drive. Named Putput
283
284 All run Gentoo Linux, all run folding. #1 is my desktop, 2, 3, and 4 are set up as servers.
287 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list