From: Dirk Heinrichs <dirk.heinrichs@××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OT: Is EVMS dead?
Date: Mon, 05 Nov 2007 18:14:46
1 Am Montag, 5. November 2007 schrieb James:
2 > Hello,
3 >
4 > I do not read as much as I should, but, I stumbled across this page [1]
5 > that suggests that EVMS is dead. I see it is in portage, but is it
6 > slated for the trash, as time moves forward? Sure it's Ubuntu site, but
7 > they claim EVMS is unmaintained, if you read further down the page.
8
9 Well, it is currently unmaintained. But does this mean it's dead? I don't
10 think so. All it needs is a new maintainer. On to what ubuntu writes:
11
12 "...the update manager will recommend that you remove it, failing to do so can
13 render your computer unbootable (or at least, incredibly slow)."
14
15 Why should it get unbootable? Or slower than before?
16
17 What they write about bd_claim is completely true and it can happen that with
18 EVMS a device can be claimed multiple times. BUT ONLY IF YOU APPLY EVMS'
19 BD_CLAIM PATCH!! which they obviously did -> their own fault.
20
21 "EVMS depends on the extremely outdated and unmaintained GTK+ 1.2 libraries,
22 it has not been updated to the GTK+ 2.0 series (currently 2.12.0)"
23
24 AFAIK, debian has a patch to switch EVMS to gtk+ 2.x. Why doesn't ubuntu use
25 it. Anyway, not a problem for Gentoo, slots to the rescue.
26
27 "EVMS does not support the vanilla Linux 2.6 kernel, and instead requires that
28 the bd_claim feature be patched out (source: [WWW]
29 http://evms.sourceforge.net/install/kernel.html#bdclaim)"
30
31 BULLSHIT!! They obviously didn't read that section completely. I use EVMS on
32 vanilla 2.6 kernels w/o the bd_claim patch.
33
34 However, feel free to step up as a new maintainer :-)
35
36 Bye...
37
38 Dirk