From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] What to do when you can't loggin
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2006 14:53:21
1 On Wed, 21 Jun 2006 16:37:27 +0200, Etaoin Shrdlu wrote:
2
3 > > What happens if something is wrong with your initrd and you need to
4 > > remove the initrd= option from the command line?
5 >
6 > Good question! In this regard, grub is certainly better since it shows
7 > you the complete command line, and you can tweak everything you want.
8 > Anyway, passing an empty "initrd=" could possibly work (I never tried
9 > this).
10
11 When I find myself in that situation, I want something more than "could
12 possibly work" :(
13
14 Anyway, I rarely edit the command line. I forgot to re-run lilo far more
15 often, so it's GRUB for me.
16
17 Those of you that only use x86 based system don't know how lucky you are
18 to have two decent bootloaders. If you took the worst aspect of LILO and
19 GRUB and added some extra user-hostility for luck, you'd still have
20 something a hundred times better than yaboot, the PPC bootloader :(
24 Neil Bothwick
25
26 Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand.