From: Hazen Valliant-Saunders <hazenvs@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Buying a low-cost printer for Linux
Date: Thu, 04 Dec 2008 16:49:12
1 G'day;
2
3 Most Manufacturers support Post Script out of the box (it's a 30 year old
4 standard); you just need to make sure that your kernel has the appropriate
5 driver. And you have the appropriate sub-system installed.
6
7 (LPR, CUPS whatever).
8
9 HP makes a concerted effort to support all operating systems (linux,Unix,
10 BSD, Windows, QNX ...) you get the picture.
11
12 So get a low cost HP printer and you'll do fine; lexmark is also a very good
13 place to look but make sure that the printer is supported by whatever
14 subsystem you choose (let's say you choose CUPS then make sure it's
15 compatable with the model you are interested in first).
16
17 This is the bane of the linux camp; enjoy.
18