From: Willie Wong <wwong@×××××××××.EDU>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: 'emerge -e world' question
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2009 00:16:38
1 On Wed, Jan 14, 2009 at 12:55:02AM +0100, Penguin Lover b.n. squawked:
2 > It's 4 years I'm using Gentoo and I can still be surprised by it. :)
3 > This doesn't look right. Why do devs upgrade ebuilds and do not increase
4 > the -rX versioning?
5
6 Look at the Gentoo Developer Handbook
7 http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/devrel/handbook/handbook.xml?part=3&chap=1
8
9 Specifically the section on "Versioning and revision bumps". I quote:
10
11 "If you make an internal, stylistic change to the ebuild that does
12 not change any of the installed files, then there is no need to bump
13 the revision number. Likewise, if you fix a compilation problem in
14 the ebuild that was affecting some users, there is no need to bump
15 the revision number, since those for whom it worked perfectly would
16 see no benefit in installing a new revision, and those who
17 experienced the problem do not have the package installed (since
18 compilation failed) and thus have no need for the new revision number
19 to force an upgrade. A revision bump is also not necessary if a
20 minority of users will be affected and the package has a nontrivial
21 average compilation time; use your best judgement in these
22 circumstances. "
23
24 The changes made to OpenOffice in this case are minor (example: a
25 virtual is added for some perl package, and the dependency is changed
26 from depending on the explicit package to the virtual), and should not
27 effect already working installations; furthermore, considering how
28 much memory and time one needs to compile OpenOffice, I say the gentoo
29 policy is quite sane about not forcing a revision bump.
30
31 W
34 The police recently arrested a man selling "secret formula" tablets he claimed
35 gave eternal youth. When going through their files they noticed it was the
36 fifth time he was caught for committing this same criminal medical fraud. He
37 had earlier bookings from 1794, 1856, 1928 and 1983....
38 Sortir en Pantoufles: up 767 days, 22:53