From: "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] problems debugging a systemd problem
Date: Thu, 28 May 2015 22:34:30
1 On Thu, May 28, 2015 at 5:23 PM, Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > On Thu, May 28, 2015 at 5:32 PM, Canek Peláez Valdés <caneko@×××××.com>
4 wrote:
5 > >
6 > > As I said, I did the following tests:
7 > >
8 > > 1. Adding "emergency" to the kernel command line, with a valid root=.
9 > > 2. Adding "rescue" to the kernel command line, with a valid root=.
10 > > 2. Leaving root= invalid without adding neither "emergency" nor
11 "rescue".
12 > >
13 > > If root= is valid, with emergency systemd drops you to a shell with your
14 > > root filesystem mounted read-only. With rescue, systemd drops you to a
15 shell
16 > > with all your filesystems mounted read-write.
17 > >
18 > > If root= is invalid, it doesn't matter if you use emergency, rescue, or
19 > > neither, *dracut* drops you to a shell, still inside the initramfs
20 > > obviously. It takes a while; I didn't took the time, but I think it was
21 3
22 > > minutes. Inside this shell, you can use systemd normally, and if you
23 manage
24 > > to mount the root filesystem, I'm sure you could continue the normal
25 boot
26 > > process. You'll have to pivot root manually, though.
27 >
28 > That was basically my understanding of how dracut behaved. I think
29 > we're just having a communication gap or something, because you seem
30 > to be disagreeing with me when I'm basically trying to describe the
31 > behavior you just listed above.
32
33 It's possible; I was wrong about emergency doing anything when root= is
34 invalid, but I did not understood the above behavior from your previous
35 mails.
36
37 Anyway, if dracut cannot mount the root filesystem, it will drop you into a
38 shell with a functional systemd. Eventually.
39
40 Regards.
41 --
42 Canek Peláez Valdés
43 Profesor de asignatura, Facultad de Ciencias