From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: want to upgrade 50 month old installation
Date: Tue, 04 Aug 2015 19:10:59
1 On 2015-08-04, Felix Miata <mrmazda@×××××××××.net> wrote:
2 > Grant Edwards composed on 2015-08-04 17:20 (UTC):
3 >
4 >> My gut feeling is that a fresh install is going to be a _lot_ easier
5 >
6 > For some "degenerate" value of easier. :-)
7 >
8 >> and faster. A fresh install will take a couple hours. An upgrade will
9 >> take somewhere between a couple days and a couple weeks.
10 >
11 > Seriously, more than a day?
12
13 Probably. There have beens some major changes in the past 4 years.
14 The last time I tried up upgrade a system that was more than a year
15 old, it took a couple days.
16
17 Portage was unable to resolve a lot of conflects and blockers. I hand
18 to uninstall a _lot_ of stuff to get to the point where portage could
19 be convinced to do any upgrades at all. It would have been way faster
20 to do a fresh install.
21
22 > Now that I've seen several thread responses subsequent to this one,
23 > I'm leaning towared just doing a fresh installation, but I'm curious
24 > about what would happen by trying, and how long it really would take.
25
26 Give it a try and let us know how it goes.
29 Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! I'm having an
30 at EMOTIONAL OUTBURST!! But,
31 gmail.com uh, WHY is there a WAFFLE
32 in my PAJAMA POCKET??