From: Bill Longman <bill.longman@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Listing applications with eix...
Date: Tue, 06 Dec 2011 22:57:04
1 On 12/06/2011 06:55 AM, Rudmer van Dijk wrote:
2 > Bill Longman wrote:
3 >> is there a way to list all -- for exmaple -- audio related
4 >> applications without without being burried under audio related
5 >> system libs for example or entries with (also as an exmaple)
6 >> "this application does not supprt audio but only imageing"
7 >>
8 >> I want the full dexcription, not only the heade line...
9 >>
10 >> Here's one way that I like to look for these, Meino:
11 >>
12 >> eix --stable -c -S audio
13 >>
14 >> Obviously there's no easy way to get a noise-free listing of what you
15 >> want, but I've often found looking for text in the description with the
16 >> -S is a useful method.
17 >
18 > well, there is this: (don't forget the trailing slash!)
19 >
20 > `eix -c media-sound/`
21 >
22 > but for a whole category you'll definitely want to use '-c', there is so
23 > much... but all audio related even without audio in the name or
24 > description.
25
26 If you know your application lives in a specific category, then you
27 should use the "-C category". But Meino's question specifically asked
28 how to get ANY audio related application out of all of portage. That
29 means you have to search WITHOUT a category, unless of course you are
30 doing searches through each individual category in search of some string.
31
32 The lowercase -c compresses the output to include the header. The
33 uppercase -C forces a category. You can use wildcards on categories, for
34 instance, "-C sci-* ks" returns entries from
35 sci-{chemistry,electronics,libs,visualization}.