From: Jarry <mr.jarry@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Partition schme question
Date: Wed, 03 Sep 2008 16:19:09
1 Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 >>>> dd if=/dev/sda2 of=/dev/null
3 >>>> 957169664 bytes (957 MB) copied, 17.5531 s, 54.5 MB/s
4 >>>> dd if=/dev/sda12 of=/dev/null
5 >>>> 820854784 bytes (821 MB) copied, 21.4136 s, 38.3 MB/s
6 >>> What do you conclude from this?
7 >> I'd say that /dev/sda2 is near "beginning" of disk (outer side,
8 >> more sectors per cylinder, higher transfer speed), and /dev/sda12
9 >> is near "end" of disk (inner side, less sectors per cylinder,
10 >> lower transfer speed).
11 >
12 > Ah, I see my troll caught one already. You seem to be under the common
13 > delusion that the structure reported by fdisk actually means something about
14 > the physical disk :-)
15
16 Correct me if I'm wrong, but I do not remember saying anything like
17 that. And frankly, I can not image how you came to that conclusion.
18 I just said /dev/sda2 is probably on the outer side, and /dev/sda12
19 on inner side, based on that difference in transfer speeds...
20
21 > These days the entire concept of a "cylinder" is a mere abstraction to make
22 > tools like fdisk work in a sane manner.
23
24 Partially correct. True is, C/H/S numbers in fdisk does not have any
25 practical meaning these days. But there are still cylinders, heads
26 and sectors on disk. And total number of sectors reported by fdisk
27 is the same, as real total number of sectors on disk. These sectors
28 are numbered starting first with the most outer tracks on disk on
29 all physical cylinders, continuing towards the inner most track.
30 This holds true for nearly all sata/pata-disks. Maybe scsi/sas
31 have different sector numbering scheme...
32
33 > But yes, it does seem that in this case sda2 is probably near the outer edge
34 > of the platter where the head speed relative to the disk is higher.
35
36 Well, I'd say head speed does not anything to do with it. What makes
37 transfer rate on the outer tracks of disk faster is higher number of
38 sectors per cylinder, because nowadays disks have about constant
39 "bit-density" (only "about" constant, because number of sectors
40 per cylinder is a discrete number)...
41
42 Jarry
46 This mailbox accepts e-mails only from selected mailing-lists!
47 Everything else is considered to be spam and therefore deleted.