From: thegeezer <thegeezer@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Installing a thingy that does not have an ebuild
Date: Wed, 07 Jan 2015 09:16:53
1 On 07/01/15 06:01, Andrew Lowe wrote:
2 > Hi all,
3 > I'm trying to install an engineering package by the name of
4 > Salome-meca. There is no ebuild for this. They claim to have a
5 > "universal installer" but I've spent too much time trying to get this
6 > thingy to work and can now confidently say it's not too universal.
7 >
8 > There are installs for Debian 6 & 7.1, Mandriva, Centos 5.5 & 6.3,
9 > Fedora 18 and Ununtu 13.1. Which of these would be the easiest to grab
10
11 deb and rpm are basically glorified zip files
12 if you download either then go to the forums and choose your tool [1]
13 you can unpack these files.
14 you will find when you do --- let's say you unpack into
15 /tmp/experiments/ you will have /tmp/experiments/usr/bin and
16 /tmp/experiments/etc
17 you will have to copy over the relevant bits to the right place manually
20 [1] https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-914534-start-0.html
21
22 > and somehow shoehorn/install into an up to date Gentoo system running KDE?
23 >
24 > Any help, including links on installing "non Gentoo" into Gentoo, would
25 > be greatly appreciated.
26 >
27 > Regards,
28 > Andrew