From: brullo nulla <brullonulla@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT]advice for a wireless router
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2007 15:51:19
1 On 10/29/07, Ophidian <ophidian@×××××××××××××××.net> wrote:
2
3 > > In the area of wired switches, I have found that technology has matured
4 > > and you get pretty much the same performance (100% bandwith) from any
5 > > switch (I paid $12 for some of my switches). I wouldn't necessarily
6 > > recommend it for enterprise-level switching (on the other hand, I also
7 > > plan to use it for some later this year).
8 > >
9 > > However, I don't know whether this applies to wireless. I bought a
10 > > dirt-cheap Belkin AP a few years ago and found it adequate, but the
11 > > configuration paradigm was bundled (windoze-only) software.
12 >
13 > The one gotcha with the different brands is that some of them use
14 > cheaper parts that can't handle as many connections/open ports and can
15 > thus get overloaded. You most often see this sort of behaviour with
16 > Bittorrent, but I've also done it to a switch when I had a bookmark
17 > folder of 15ish links (webcomics) and clicked "Open In Tabs" in Firefox.
18 >
19 > It tends to be hit or miss. Previously, Netgear has had a good
20 > reputation, but my only experience with their wireless routers has been
21 > poor, with the one my girlfriend got (sadly at my suggestion) flaking
22 > out pretty severely whenever a P2P application looked at it funny or an
23 > app like Adium/Pidgin opened too many ports when connecting. The
24 > solution was always to unplug/replug to force it to reboot.
25 >
26 > One decent resource to steer you in the right direction may be
27 > http://www.azureuswiki.com/index.php/Bad_routers. Note however that
28 > when it lists the Linksys stuff, that's for the stock firmware, a number
29 > of them can run custom stuff like dd-wrt.
30
31 I think I will settle for this:
32 Linksys Gateway Wireless Wrt54g
33