From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] update problems
Date: Sun, 20 Sep 2015 17:31:53
1 On Sun, Sep 20, 2015 at 1:24 PM, J. Roeleveld <joost@××××××××.org> wrote:
2 > On Sunday 20 September 2015 16:25:34 lee wrote:
3 >> So I decided I'd better ask what to do. It's hard to believe that we
4 >> are seriously expected to remove lots of software which we might not be
5 >> able to install again just to do an update. All these conflicts give me
6 >> the impression that something in the repo is broken and needs to be
7 >> fixed.
8 >
9 > I have no such issues, neither do most people.
10 > Which seems to indicate the issue is not with the repo.
11 > Lets look at the actual contents of your world-file. (see above)
14 So, first, I don't think it is a good idea to just start uninstalling
15 packages first and then try to fix them. That might or might not
16 work, but it certainly isn't the first thing I'd try.
17
18 Second, this could very well be a problem with the repo, which is the
19 whole point of the debate around dynamic dependencies. Current
20 practices tend to create situations that our package managers can't
21 handle. They don't break for everybody instantly, which is why
22 they're so insidious, and also why changing the practice was somewhat
23 controversial when it first came up a year ago.
24
25 I hate to post it a 3rd time, but before we bicker 14 more times on
26 this, could somebody please just try adding --backtrack=50, and if
27 that doesn't work just try running emerge -1 on the packages that are
28 causing the block by depending on the older package version?
31 Rich