From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] emerge gives backtrace during first-time install of gentoo in a Debian sarge chroot.
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2007 06:50:27
1 On Tuesday 23 January 2007 03:36, Hendrik Boom wrote:
2 > Installing gentoo for the first time, starting yesterday. I just got to
3 > the point of choosing the system logger as described in section 9b of
4 > http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?part=1&chap=9
5 > and syslog-ng gives me a traceback.
6 [snip...]
7
8 When I get problems like that I resync portage after a while and they usually
9 go away - unless the whole /usr/portage partition fs has been corrupted. NB -
10 I keep my portage on a separate partition to minimise fragmentation. If the
11 fs has been corrupted and the fsck tools won't repair it then I wipe the
12 partition clean, reformat it and download a fresh portage snapshot.
15 > Context:
16 >
17 > I'm installing this using a chroot from a Debian sarge system.
18 > I've encountered a few anomalies along the way, but I suspect most of them
19 > are cosmetic, and that some just need a documentation update.
20 > I don't think they are related to the tracebacks, but I mention them below
21 > just in case they are a clue to the deeper problem.
22 >
23 > (1) The portage file on the mirror was called
24 > portage-latest.tar.bz2.tar
25 > instead of
26 > portage-latest.tar.bz2
27
28 Did you check on more than one mirrors - also the MD5 checksums?
29
30 > (2) Of course, from sarge I couldn't run mirrorselect. So I picked a
31 > mirror by hand, and it seemed to work.
32
33 mirrorselect is the Gentoo equivalent of netselect for Debian.
34
35 > (3) At section 7.d, where I was supposed to
36 > zcat /proc/config.gz
37 > there was no such file. But the file I was supposed to create,
38 > /usr/share/genkernel/x86/kernel-config-26
39 > already existed, so I just used the one that was already there.
40 >
41 > This may have resulted from the fact that /proc was, of course, a window
42 > into the Debian 2.6.8 kernel instead of the 2.6.17 installer kernel.
43
44 That's right. You can find this file once you have booted the LiveCD.
45
46 > (4) When doing
47 > genkernel all
48 > I got the message
49 > mount: special device /dev/BOOT does not exist
50 > * warning: failed to mount /boot
51
52 Edit your /etc/fstab and change /dev/BOOT, /dev/ROOT, etc. with real names of
53 your corresponding partitions (e.g. /dev/hda1).
54
55 > There was still a directory /boot on the intended partition into which I
56 > was installing gentoo, so I presumed it would use that one for /boot, as I
57 > intended, and just let it go on.
58 >
59 > (5) I found the installation of locales and keymaps. None of the available
60 > locales had "UTF-8" in their names, even though some of the suggested ones
61 > did. Should I presume that the UTF-8 adaptation is created by the locale
62 > generating software? What I want is a system that uses UTF-8 internally
63 > and keyboards and consoles that accept input in several languages --
64 > English, French, math, Japanese, and mathematics. I guesses some entries
65 > and went on -- confident that this can be fixed after installation.
66
67 You need to edit /etc/locale.gen and add something like e.g. en_GB.UTF-8 UTF-8
68 (the file is well commented with instructions) and then run locale-gen or
69 re-emerge glibc.
70
71 HTH.
72 --