From: John Jolet <john@×××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Slightly OT: favorite window manager/desktop environ?
Date: Sun, 04 Sep 2005 01:58:05
1 > > I don't run desktops, I run applications.
2 > >
3 > In general I'll have to take the unpopular position and say I
4 > disagree. All those potential converts are just like you - They don't
5 > run desktops they run apps - and because they are so entrenched with
6 > dollars already spent on Microsoft Windows, Microsoft email, Microsoft
7 > Office, Quicken,, etc., they won't come just because they can save
8 > $400 buying a new PC.
9 >
10 > To become a Linux user is a commitment. People don't make new
11 > commitments lightly, and making a light commitment to Linux is doomed
12 > to failure. It's far too hard to use. Imagine knowing absolutely
13 > nothing about any Linux editor, nor even terminal commands, and trying
14 > to configure networking. It's nigh on impossible.
15 >
16 I agree. I'm a longtime unix administrator with many opportunities to convert
17 family and friends to linux, but haven't yet, either due to lack of linux
18 drivers for multi-function devices, or lack of linux compatibility to apps
19 they need to run. Until companies support all their hardware o linux
20 (specifically in my case lexmark), people will feel trapped in windows. even
21 clients of mine that have spent hundreds of dollars for me to clean their
22 windows boxes of spyware can't afford to move due to websites they NEED to
23 run requiring activeX controls.
24 --
25 John Jolet
26 Your On-Demand IT Department