From: maxim wexler <blissfix@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] ppp-2.4.3-r10.ebuild
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2006 05:48:15
1 I've done this lots. I didn't have near the problems
2 you seem to be having. If you can chroot to /bin/bash
3 you shouldn't have a problem. But you need pppconfig
4 in addition to ppp. According to my notes I had to
5 USE="-unicode" before I could emerge pppconfig. Don't
6 recall where that came from; you might not have to.
7 Run pppconfig and fill in the lines. That's all I had
8 to do. Unless this "PPPoA" thing you mention queers
9 the deal.
10
11 Then edit sudoers for user access -- you're all set.
12
13 --- Charles Trois <charles.trois@×××××××.fr> wrote:
14
15 > It's not easy to install things in Gentoo without
16 > Internet access,
17 > especially when it's about installing the Internet
18 > connexion itself.
19 >
20 > My ISP uses PPPoA, and I have a Speedtouch USB
21 > modem, the installation
22 > of which requires ppp-2.4.3. This is not provided by
23 > the distfiles, so I
24 > used a tarball downloaded under MacOS, which I
25 > installed in the ordinary
26 > way (which is not the Gentoo way). The Speedtouch
27 > pages say that one should
28 >
29 > (1) write PEER="speedtch" in /etc/conf.d/net.ppp0
30 > (speedtch is the
31 > name of the modem config file)
32 >
33 > (2) run "rc-update add net.ppp0 default" in order
34 > that ppp0 start at
35 > boot.
36 >
37 > Thus installed, the thing works, but only up to a
38 > point, in that
39 >
40 > (3) I have to run "pppd call speedtch" to start
41 > ppp, and
42 >
43 > (4) I must change the default route from eth0 to
44 > ppp0 to make the
45 > name resolution work.
46 >
47 > Supposing that these difficulties might result from
48 > a bad installation
49 > of ppp-2.4.3, and Internet now being available, I
50 > looked for a proper
51 > emerge, and found ppp-2.4.3-r10.ebuild, which I
52 > installed, unmasking it
53 > for ~ppc (this is an iMac). That was ok, but the
54 > note at the end says
55 > that /etc/init.d/net.ppp0 is no longer used and that
56 > everything goes
57 > through pppd. Then (2) above does no longer make
58 > sense, and I am not
59 > sure about (1).
60 >
61 > I tried to run pppd just to see, but there was no
62 > result (although no
63 > error). From the script, it seems that it might give
64 > some messages, but
65 > there was nothing.
66 >
67 > How does it work? What should I do instead of (1)
68 > and (2), and shall I
69 > be rid of (3) and (4)?
70 >
71 > I'll be grateful for all hints.
72 >
73 > Charles
79 > --
80 > gentoo-user@g.o mailing list
86 Do You Yahoo!?
87 Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around
88 http://mail.yahoo.com
89 --
90 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list