From: Jigme Datse Yli-RAsku <jigme.datse@×××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Skype
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2017 17:10:42
Is Skype "largely unusable" on Gentoo?  It feels like about 3 days ago I
was forced to upgrade because "this version is no longer supported" and
to upgrade I had to keyword the latest version.  If this keeps
happening, to me, this is broken.  And I'm not sure if the problem is
that we are so far behind, that when Microsoft removes support we only
just barely meet the requirements, or if there is something I am missing.

I *do* like to keep my computer updated, but unless I misunderstand (and
it seems that Gentoo has changed a lot since I started using it about
15-20 years ago (I think)) stable is the recommended way to run the
system unless you want to go into "here be pesky programmes" territory.
When I started, even "stable" was a lot more work than previously used
distributions, but with Gentoo, I've always felt that with Gentoo, while
doing "basic stuff" can be more difficult, other distributions have
always been "if it doesn't work out of the box, it's probably not that
worth trying to figure it out."

I still feel that getting things working in Gentoo is always "a bit of
work" and if it "doesn't just work" it often still can be done without a
whole lot more work.  But having to upgrade in a "manual way" on
approximately a weekly basis just to have functionality tells me that
something is badly broken (and I don't feel it is Gentoo in this case,
but I need to have some better understanding).

I know, that when I was trying to figure out just "what was supported" I
actually wasn't getting good information...