From: Iain Buchanan <iaindb@××××××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [SOLVED] identical drives, different free space!
Date: Mon, 17 May 2010 01:53:58
1 So after I excluded distfiles from my rsync, I found that the two
2 partitions had roughly the same free space... strange! How could
3 excluding around 6G of distfiles make two copies of the same thing the
4 same size?
5
6 Well, it turns out I have the distfiles mounted with --bind to my
7 ftp/pub directory. And looking in the rsync man page:
8
9 -x, --one-file-system
10 ...
11 Also keep in mind that rsync treats a "bind" mount to
12 the same device as being on the same filesystem.
13
14 So my distfiles were being copied in /usr/portage as well
15 as /home/ftp/pub!
16
17 Unfortunately the only way to get around it seems to be another
18 --exclude directive. At least I understand what's going on now :)
19
20 thanks for all the suggestions,
24 Mr. Cole's Axiom:
25 The sum of the intelligence on the planet is a constant; the
26 population is growing.