From: Albert Hopkins <marduk@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] LVM, crypto, and backup
Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2007 20:21:26
1 On Sun, 2007-12-16 at 11:52 -0800, felix@×××××××.com wrote:
2 > I want to set up two portable 1TB drives so users have their own LVM
3 > partitions to mount as crypto drives. These partitions would have to
4 > be mounted manually with the passpharse supplied by each user (this is
5 > a family setup, just a few users). But I want the system to be able
6 > to backup one 1TB drive to the other for offline backup.
7 >
8 > 1. What crypto system to use?
9 >
10 > 2. I have planned this with each user having their own LVM partition,
11 > but would it be possible to use one passphrase and make the entire
12 > drive crypto, then run LVM on top of that? This is a curiousity
13 > question more than anything. It might be handy for a system disk
14 > someday, but not now.
15 >
16 > 3. What is the right way to backup one 1TB drive to the other? dd
17 > would probably work, but that sounds rather crude, not to mention
18 > it would have to copy the entire 1TB over USB. It would be a lot
19 > faster to only backup what is needed. I want to backup partitions
20 > automatically once a week, without knowing the passphrase or
21 > requiring the partitions to be mounted. If each LVM partition is
22 > only expanded as necessary, unused space in each partition would
23 > be kept to a minimum. Or is it possible for the backup to only
24 > backup as much of each partition as is used, without knowing the
25 > passphrase or having it mounted? I suspect not, but I don't know.
26 >
27 I would probably use encfs, forget about the one-lvm-per-user
28 complexity, and just back up the encrypted filesystem just like any
29 other fs.
32 Albert W. Hopkins
35 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list