From: Michael <confabulate@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Bluetooth speakers
Date: Mon, 09 May 2022 14:38:48
1 On Monday, 9 May 2022 14:56:42 BST karl@××××××××.se wrote:
2 > Peter:
3 > ...
4 >
5 > > What would help is some idea of how the whole BT system works,
6 >
7 > ...
8 >
9 > There are two incompatible types of bluetooth:
10 > Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE)
11 > Bluetooth Classic
12 > see:
13 > https://www.bluetooth.com/learn-about-bluetooth/tech-overview/
14 >
15 > You must check which generation of bluetooth your speaker uses.
16 > If your speaker uses the classic type, this might help you:
17 > https://wiki.debian.org/Bluetooth/Alsa
18 >
19 > ///
20 >
21 > More info about bluetooth:
22 > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bluetooth
23 > https://www.bluetooth.com/specifications/specs/
24 >
25 > ///
26 >
27 > Current linux bluetooth tools (http://www.bluez.org/) doesn't
28 > handle bluetooth classic, unless you build bluez with
29 > --enable-deprecated configure option.
30 > Also, bluez has dropped direct /dev file access for users, you
31 > have to set up and go through dbus regardless wether you like it
32 > or not.
33 >
34 > Regards,
35 > /Karl Hammar
36
37 I've met some success getting BT to work and I tend to follow these basic
38 steps:
39
40 1. Configure the kernel according to the BT chipset available on the PC.
41
42 2. Power the BT chip by using whatever hardware button is available and check
43 dmesg identified the device and loaded whatever module and firmware is
44 necessary.
45
46 3. Use 'rfkill list' to check the device is not blocked and unblock it if
47 necessary.
48
49 4. Run 'rc-service -v bluetooth start'.
50
51 5. Run 'bluetoothctl' to scan, list, pair and trust any peripherals -
52 exchange a PIN to facilitate pairing as necessary.
53
54 These steps should be relatively easy to complete and GUI tools are also
55 available to assist with the above. Any problems thereafter are userspace
56 related, i.e. whether the applications I use will be able to work with the BT
57 peripherals. Audio has been problematic on a particular use case, where
58 neither alsa (bluez-alsa), nor pulseaudio allowed me to output audio via BT.
59 Eventually I tried blueman which after a couple of restarts helped pulseaudio
60 to recognise the device and output audio through it.
61
62 In all cases I prefer cables to temperamental radio connectivity and where
63 quality matters, like it can be in some audio applications, I would seek to
64 connect with a cable.
65
66 HTH