From: Kevin O'Gorman <kogorman@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Handbrake: Is it is or is it ain't in portage
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2010 14:08:56
1 On Mon, Aug 16, 2010 at 1:21 PM, Paul Hartman
2 <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com<paul.hartman%2Bgentoo@×××××.com>
3 > wrote:
4
5 > On Sun, Aug 15, 2010 at 10:02 PM, Kevin O'Gorman <kogorman@×××××.com>
6 > wrote:
7 > > My underling thing, if anyone can make other suggestions, is that my
8 > camera
9 > > broke, and I had to get
10 > > one in a hurry, and didn't really know what to look for. I wound up with
11 > a
12 > > fairly good Sanyo 1080p camera
13 > > and video recorder that's super light, and not too expensive. The
14 > problem
15 > > is that its videos are MP4s,
16 > > which are definitely not ready to put on a web site, and I know nothing
17 > > about transcoding. My previous
18 > > camera took acceptable .avi videos, which had worked with most folks
19 > > browsers. The MP4s are huge
20 > > and in a weakly supported format.
21 >
22 > You might want to check out kdenlive which is a full-featured video
23 > editor (using mlt as backend) but includes a simple transcoding
24 > function and several presets for many different formats (with the
25 > added bonus that you'll be able to edit your raw video should you so
26 > desire).
29 Thanks, I emerged kdenlive. I can not open my MP4 files, but I can add them
30 as clips. Okay.
31
32 The clips do not play in any reasonable form. I get moments of sound, and a
33 few pixels
34 changing on screen; nothing coherent. I'd been told that H264 needs a lot
35 of CPU and I
36 guess an old 4-core 32-bit XEON (effectively 800 MHz each) on 2 GB ECC DDR1
37 is not enough. Okay.
38
39 The killer though, is that I cannot figure out how to export that clip in
40 some other form.
41 And of course, I'm clueless about what form would be optimum. Asking for
42 help takes
43 me to a forum that has a thread on the topic, but no useful answer.
44
45 Is there a kdelive tutorial anywhere? One basic walkthrough and I'd
46 probably be able
47 to figure out the rest of what I want.
50 Kevin O'Gorman, PhD