From: Felix Miata <mrmazda@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] why --noclear not set on tty1 in default /etc/inittab?
Date: Sat, 08 Aug 2015 06:57:48
1 I don't get why any distro leaves this out, why anyone wouldn't like to
2 automatically notice while booting any announcement that something failed,
3 especially someone who has just gotten a new installation up for the first
4 times. Why isn't --noclear set by default?
5
6 Once I set this and rebooted I saw several things that needed fixing that I
7 didn't have a clue about:
8
9 1-error loading /etc/.../hostname (I had copied it from openSUSE installation
10 instead of following installation instruction, and without reading or saving
11 the existing one)
12
13 2-depending on hostname working, syslog-ng fails to start
14
15 3-missing mount points
16
17 As a consequence of my ineptitude (and prior to reading
18 http://www.gentoo-wiki.info/FQDN) I did emerge -s hostname, found a package
19 by that name, and chose to emerge it. 30 minutes later, it and 3 dep packages
20 were still compiling, lots lots longer than a kernel compile. :-(
21 --
22 "The wise are known for their understanding, and pleasant
23 words are persuasive." Proverbs 16:21 (New Living Translation)
24
25 Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409 ** a11y rocks!
26
27 Felix Miata *** http://fm.no-ip.com/