From: dennisonic@×××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] New HD monitor stretches everything. How to teach Xorg?
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2010 03:59:11
1 On 24/08/10 03:38, Bill Longman wrote:
4 > On Mon, Aug 23, 2010 at 7:27 PM, Kevin O'Gorman <kogorman@×××××.com
5 > <mailto:kogorman@×××××.com>> wrote:
6 >
7 > I had to replace an 4:3 Westinghouse monitor this weekend. I got
8 > a new ASUS VH242H, which is very wide. But Xorg is still running
9 > 1280x1024, instead of the monitor's normal 1920x1080, according to
10 > xorg logs because of lack of video memory (using the ATI on the
11 > motherboard). I can make the screen use a 4:3 aspect ratio, so
12 > I'm up and running, much better than I started, but I'd like to do
13 > better.
14 >
15 > I guess I've gotta look for a video card, but all I have is PCIX
16 > slots, so I don't want to put a lot of money into it (I'll be
17 > upgrading the mobo when finances permit -- which is not right now.)
18 >
19 > Any ideas?
22 > You'd kinda think that since AGP is kinda sorta a beefed up version of
23 > PCI, kinda sorta like PCI-X, you ought to be able to find a boatload
24 > of cards like this for the cheap on eBay. But finding one is like
25 > finding hen's teeth. The only one I've found is a 3.3/5V 32/64bit
26 > 33/66MHz ATI card and they're about $US500. The company that makes
27 > them does them for multi-head displays such as NOC displays, etc, so
28 > if you can't spare the change for a new mobo, then five hundred bucks
29 > for a video card in a worn-out bus format is probably out of the question.
30 >
31 > <rant>I've been looking for one for years now because I have this
32 > great Dell server that just keeps on running and running but it has
33 > these beautiful 64 bit PCI-X slots just calling out for a decent video
34 > card -- but not AGP!</rant>
35 >
36 Have you tried setting different modelines etc using cvt and xrandr?