From: Florian Philipp <lists@××××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] RAID with mixed drive sizes
Date: Sat, 30 Aug 2008 09:56:10
1 Matthias Bethke schrieb:
2 > Hi Florian,
3 > on Wed, Aug 27, 2008 at 10:29:07PM +0200, you wrote:
4 >> Note1: NEVER EVER build some kind of RAID other than "Linear" (also called
5 >> JBOD) over two IDE disks on the same cable. Performance will suffer greatly
6 >> as will security because most simple onboard controllers can't handle a
7 >> dying disk and that one might take the other one with it into death.
8 >
9 > Your suggestions sound reasonable (as reasonable as you get if one
10 > insists on going with the drives that are there instead of getting a
11 > third 500G drive that is :) [and for RAID5 I'd add a cheapish SATA
12 > controller as well]) but I wonder why the above should be better than a
13 > RAID0. The risk is the same---if either disk dies, the partition is
14 > fuct. And considering drive mechanics are still the slowest part of the
15 > system, even two EIDE disks that tend fight for the bus should be a tad
16 > faster when striped than any one alone, which is what you effectively
17 > get in a JBOD, right?
18 >
19 > cheers,
20 > Matthias
23 Hmm, you might be right. Maybe someone should do a field test.