From: Alan McKinnon <alan@××××××××××××××××.za>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Installation of openoffice in 4 hours or more?! :s
Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2006 21:21:05
1 On Tuesday 05 December 2006 22:49, Leandro Melo de Sales wrote:
2 > Ok... thanks Michael and Neil, I didn't know that compiling
3 > openoffice take to many times. For next big emerges I'll do what you
4 > suggested.
5
6 For future reference, there are several big packages that can take a
7 while to compile. OpenOffice is by far the longest, some others are:
8
9 - the old monolithic kde ebuilds. 8 or 9 BIG packages. The newer
10 kde-meta ebuilds are better in this regard - 200 smaller packages
11 - kdelibs, even as a single package, it can still be an hour on most
12 laptops
13 - glibc if it compiles all locales
14 - mozilla-firefox and seamonkey. 1.5 to 2 hours is not unusual
15 - the old monolithic X server. You shouldn't be using this anymore
16 though
17 - php
18
19 In general, if the source package is big, then the compile will take a
20 while. Anything over 30M of source will probably take at least an hour
21 (give and take some of course)
22
23 And screen is your second best friend ever (Google is the first). It's
24 so useful you might consider putting it in your shell profile so you
25 can't forget to use it
26
27 alan
31 > Leandro