From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} Computers and mental/emotional health
Date: Tue, 04 Oct 2011 16:00:41
1 On Tuesday 04 Oct 2011 04:58:00 Michael Orlitzky wrote:
2 > On 10/03/2011 10:19 PM, Pandu Poluan wrote:
3 > > If I may add: try a cup of normal (i.e. non-decaf) coffee about 1 hour
4 > > after you start using the computer.
5 >
6 > Ok, but how do you survive the first hour?
7
8 Coffee is a stimulant so it countenances depression, at some low level, which
9 the latest research claims to have measured.
10
11 On the other hand, coffee is also a chemical which generates toxins in the
12 body which increase stress, accumulation of fat, loss of hair, etc.
13
14 It seems to me that you can use coffee to publish any story in the papers that
15 you happen to fancy ...
16
17 There's truth about the claim that staying indoors will not generally get you
18 enough sunlight (being outdoors on a cloudy day will get you 10s to 100s times
19 more light). Sunlight is extremely important both for SAD (especially if you
20 are a sufferer) and for strong bones (delaying osteoporosis).
21
22 However, what comes with advancing age is a general decline in energy and
23 sight. This means that staring at a screen causes more noticeable eye strain
24 than in the past. This also means that trying to process information which
25 requires any degree of concentration/intensity will cause tiredness. Hence,
26 it sucks life out of life. It takes longer to do what you used to do when
27 younger and there's less energy to do anything else if you spend hours in
28 front of a computer.
29
30 I think that the solution is to consciously try to take breaks away from
31 sitting in front of a PC and engage in more physical activity - ideally
32 outdoors.
33 --
34 Regards,
35 Mick