From: Ognjen Bezanov <ognjen@×××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] DHCP and Deny specific Mac Addr IPs
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2006 15:38:10
1 On Thursday 27 April 2006 15:10, Uwe Thiem wrote:
2 > On 27 April 2006 15:55, Ow Mun Heng wrote:
3 > > Hi All,
4 > >
5 > > In my current situation, my home network has 1 DHCP server for all the
6 > > clients on the home network.
7 > >
8 > > My laptop, also runs a dhcp server, for when I use my laptop as a
9 > > firewall/router at work. (no HUB/switch available)
10 > >
11 > > WHen I get home and I plug into the home-network, a newly booted up PC
12 > > will contact my laptop's DHCP for an address rather than the Home
13 > > network's DHCP server.
14 > >
15 > > The question is, how can I deny these Home-PCs access to my laptop's
16 > > DHCP server. I know of the "deny" config for pool addreses, but it's not
17 > > horribly clear how this is done.
18 >
19 > Wouldn't it be the best solution to shut the dhcp server on you laptop down
20 > when you are at home?
21 >
22 > Uwe
23 >
24 I agree. I have an DNS and DHCP server on my laptop (for when I am at Uni, so
25 I can act as a gateway/server for a WLAN).
26
27 I avoid this issue by not having the DNS and DHCP servers on by default. I
28 have a script called "startNET.sh" which starts up the DHCP and DNS when I
29 require it.
30
31 This has the additional advantage of the fact the programs are not running
32 while the laptop in not connected anywhere (such as when its on batteries and
33 I'm on the train). saving memory and CPU cycles for other things.
34
35 Why dont you just keep if off until you get to work? then have a script which
36 you can run when you are there. If you like you can have another script which
37 shuts it down for when you get home.
41 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list