From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] console size/display anomaly
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2020 12:22:51
1 On Wed, Oct 28, 2020 at 09:54:04AM -0400, John Blinka wrote
2
3 > Any ideas?
4
5 The 1940's called... they want their overscan back. It sounds like
6 your TV set has "overscan", a relic of the 1940's. I have a 13-year old
7 plasma digital, and get the same effect. Back in the 1940's, and up
8 until the advent of ATSC, TV sets used CRT (Cathode Ray Tube) displays.
9 As they aged, the picture shrank, and the annoying vertical blanking
10 info bar at the top of the picture came into view. To prevent this,
11 manufacturers *DELIBERATELY* oversized the picture, so that as the TV
12 aged, the picture would still fill the entire screen. This is entirely
13 unnecessary on digital TV sets, where vertical blanking info doesn't
14 exist, and the picture size is fixed, and never shrinks. But some
15 manufacturers are effing idiots and *DELIBERATELY* build in overscan on
16 digital TVs!!!
17
18 Check your TV's handbook, and see if it has a "fullpixel" setting or
19 something similar in the setup menu. Failing that your best bet in X is
20 "xrandr"; emerge it if you don't have it. In a gui terminal (e.g.
21 xterm), execute something like...
22
23 xrandr --scale '1.25x1.25'
24
25 ...This downscales the width (1st number) and height (2nd number) to 80%
26 of their original size, because 1 / 1.25 = 0.8
27
28 You'll have to play around with the width and height parameters to get
29 something that fills your screen without overscanning. Interpolation
30 may result in blurry fonts. If so, throw in one of...
31
32 --filter 'bilinear'
33 --filter 'nearest'
34
35 ...on the command line and see if it helps. xrandr can do a bunch of
36 "interesting" stuff if you want. You might also want try...
37
38 xrandr --setmonitor name geometry outputs
39
40 ...to tweak image size. Check the xrandr man page for "--setmonitor".
43 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
44 I don't run "desktop environments"; I run useful applications