From: Richard Fish <bigfish@××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] udevstart at boot?
Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2005 05:46:09
1 On 12/17/05, Ernie Schroder <schroder@×××××.net> wrote:
2 > > Is /dev/dsp actually missing on startup, or just created with the
3 > > wrong permissions?
4 >
5 > Apparently it has the wrong permissions, or so says the message when I start
6 > KDE,but if I reset them, next boot they are changed. Either resetting
7 > permissions, or doing # udevstart allows me to use /dev/dsp as user but
8 > changes don't survive a reboot.
9
10 Hmm, /dev/dsp is only necessary for legacy OSS support...it should not
11 be necessary with KDE, which _should_ be able to use the ALSA
12 interface. Do you have the alsa USE flag set?
13
14 What are the permissions that it is being created with? (Do "ls -l
15 /dev/dsp" from a console after startup without logging into KDE).
16
17 > > Are you using a device tarball (RC_DEVICE_TARBALL in /etc/conf.d/rc)?
18 >
19 > Yes.
20
21 I would suggest turning TARBALL off. It is almost certainly not needed today.
22
23 One possibility is that the device is comfing from the tarball, but
24 not being recreated by udev for some reason. You can check this with:
25
26 tar -tjvf /lib/udev-state/devices.tar.bz2
27
28 Also, what messages do you get on bootup between "Starting udevd" and
29 "Mounting /dev/pts..."
30
31 Do you CONFIG_SND_PCM_OSS=y or =m in your kernel configuration?
32
33 -Richard
36 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list