From: Thufir <hawat.thufir@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: gnome emerge gives blocked packages
Date: Sat, 08 Dec 2007 08:20:40
1 On Fri, 07 Dec 2007 12:13:52 +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
4 > Nothing to see here, move along, this is gentoo after all.
5
6 Heh. It's certainly a learning experience coming from Fedora. I did a
7 "networkless" install from the live CD which went smoothly, but I think
8 it brings some inherent issues with it; for instance, the above issues
9 with blocked packages and so forth.
10
11 A bigger issue, which I have (had) a different thread going on was
12 hardware recognition. While mucking about with GNOME (I took the easy
13 out and just did "emerge gnome --unmerge; emerge gnome" to fix some sort
14 of bonobo error) I caught sight of references to HAL.
15
16 This makes me think that on a low-level the packages required for
17 recognizing CD-ROM and CD-R/W drives, and probably USB ports, simply
18 isn't functioning or isn't installed correctly.
19
20 I'm not particularly motivated to deal with it at the moment, but maybe I
21 could get some background general information on this. Heh, I say that,
22 but haven't referenced the gentoo handbook on the topic.
26 -Thufir
29 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list