From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Sysloggers
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2009 22:37:53
1 On Wednesday 17 June 2009, Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On Wednesday 17 June 2009 23:48:38 Neil Bothwick wrote:
3 > > On Wed, 17 Jun 2009 23:31:24 +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
4 > > > I can't argue with that. I just get a little paranoid about auth logs
5 > > > being sent (with credentials) over partially-open networks, hence the
6 > > > attraction of encrypted traffic
7 > >
8 > > What about using an SSH tunnel?
9 >
10 > I thought about that - people other than me set up most of the machines and
11 > this may or may not be easy for them to do in practice. I'm sure you've
12 > seen how easy it is for otherwise smart people to royally screw up anything
13 > with ssh in it's name...
14 >
15 > Just keeping my options open, maybe there's something better suited to what
16 > I need than vanilla syslog-ng
17
18 Perhaps rsyslog?
19
20 http://www.rsyslog.com
21 ========================================
22 "Among others, it offers support for on-demand disk buffering, reliable
23 syslog over TCP, SSL, TLS and RELP, writing to databases (MySQL, PostgreSQL,
24 Oracle, and many more), email alerting, fully configurable output formats
25 (including high-precision timestamps), the ability to filter on any part of
26 the syslog message, on-the-wire message compression, and the ability to
27 convert text files to syslog. It is a drop-in replacement for stock syslogd
28 and able to work with the same configuration file syntax."
30
31 It's in portage.
34 Regards,
35 Mick