From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] grub: how to install new version of stage 1
Date: Sun, 31 May 2009 17:57:08
1 On Sun, 31 May 2009 19:43:55 +0200, Dirk Heinrichs wrote:
2
3 > > On a x86 machine I did "emerge -D -uav world" and got a response that
4 > > read in part as follows:
5 > > * Messages for package sys-boot/grub-0.97-r9:
6 >
7 > There's no need whatsoever to update grub once it's in your MBR.
8 > There's even no need to keep the package on your machine, you can just
9 > uninstall it
10
11 Not updating your MBR means your stage 1 is a different version from your
12 stage1.5 and stage2, which may or may not cause problems.
13
14 Or you you mean there's no need to install the newer version at all?
18 Neil Bothwick
19
20 Get your grubby hands off my tagline! I stole it first!