From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] SSH won't restart
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2007 17:15:29
1 > I just upgraded ssh and when I try to restart I get:
2 >
3 > * Stopping sshd ... [ !! ]
4 >
5 > I don't see anything about it in '/var/log/sshd/current'. How can I
6 > figure out what is wrong? I'm a little nervous because I don't want
7 > to shut myself out of this remote server.
10 > I had a similar issue after a previous update to ssh when I went to restart
11 > it to get it to use the new binaries. One of the nice features of sshd is
12 > that your current session will say active even if you kill the sshd daemon
13 > process. Of course, if you get disconnected then you will not be able to
14 > log back in, so it's good to do what you need to quickly if you do need to
15 > kill (or if it's really stuck, kill -9) the process. When I had this
16 > problem I issued a `kill -9 PID_NUMBER && /etc/init.d/sshd start` - just be
17 > sure that you're killing the /usr/sbin/sshd process and not one of your sshd
18 > login forks at the same time.
19
20 OK, I've got to be really careful here. I see the following processes
21 in 'ps -ef':
22
23 root 2988 1 0 Sep04 ? 00:00:00 /usr/sbin/sshd
24 root 7573 2988 0 07:28 ? 00:00:00 sshd: root@pts/0
25
26 Should I:
27
28 kill -9 2988 && /etc/init.d/sshd start
29
30 Are you sure? :)
31
32 - Grant