From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT/rant] Self-replicating programmer stupidity
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2011 20:06:38
1 On Thu, Jun 23, 2011 at 6:54 PM, walt <w41ter@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > My question:  WTF uses these poorly written ftp servers?  Why do they
3 > exist?  Who asked for them?  Who wrote the code, and why?
4 >
5 > My tentative guess: either evil programmers, or incompetent programmers.
6 > (I suspect the intersection of the two sets is very small.)
7
8 I think you get the one-man-Windows-shareware kind of projects, which
9 are almost surely going to have holes caused by
10 incompetence/inexperience. You have academic projects which are mostly
11 abandoned or left in a state of disrepair (like wu-ftpd, remember
12 that?). Then you get the huge-corporation kind of proejcts which have
13 holes based on rushing to meet deadlines, undocumented decade-old
14 legacy mystery code that nobody knows about, managers who don't care
15 about security until after a bug is found, etc.