From: Collins Richey <crichey@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] which kernel ??? 2.4 or 2.6
Date: Mon, 06 Dec 2004 17:33:05
1 On Mon, 06 Dec 2004 18:09:20 +0100, pat <pat@××××××××.org> wrote:
2 > Hi All,
3 >
4 > I have question. Which kernel is better 2.4 or 2.6 ??? I want to install
5 > Gentoo 2004.3 and I'm new to Gentoo.
6
7 There isn't a simple answer to that question. 2.6 has new features and
8 may break a very few components. 2.4 works just fine.
9
10 If you want to start with 2.6, there is a separate bootstrap26.sh
11 procedure for doing that from a stage1 install. There could be some
12 problems. Check forums or this list archives for more information.
13
14 OTOH, as a new user, you may want to stick with the standard 2.4
15 instructions and reserve building a 2.6 kernel for a later date after
16 you have a running system and after you have become more familiar with
17 gentoo. Gentoo has not yet switched over to 2.6 for the standad
18 install.
19
20 I'm not trying to discourage you, and I did indeed install a 2.6
21 kernel at my initial install, but you need to be prepared to recover
22 from potential unusual problems if you take that approach.
25 > And is it necessary to have nptl install for 2.6 kernel ??? I think yea,
26 > but I want to be shure.
29 Unless you are running highly thread-intensive applications (java,
30 maybe), you probably won't notice much difference with or without
31 nptl. You can run 2.6 with or without nptl, but it is necessary to be
32 running a 2.6 kernel to enable nptl. If you are intending to do that
33 from the initial install, you need to select the smp kernel when
34 booting from the LiveCD, since the default kernel on the LiveCD is
35 still 2.4.
36
37 After you are up and running, do this:
38
39 1. emerge a 2.6 kernel source, build a kernel, and boot from that kernel.
40 2. emerge -C linux24-headers
41 3. emerge linux26-headers
42 4. set USE="nptl" or USE="nptlonly"
43 5. emerge glibc
44 6. you may need to emerge a few additional packages if anything stops working.
45
46 Good luck and welcome to gentoo. If you don't understand any of this,
47 try searching the forum entries, then ask more questions.
50 Collins
53 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list