From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] alsa config
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2005 10:58:57
1 On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 11:48:14 +0200, Christoph Eckert wrote:
2
3 > > So holly, is arts absolutely necessary to get KDE system sounds?  I
4 > > installed KDE 3.4 without arts.  Alsa does fine as does amarok, gaim,
5 > > and several others _except_ KDE.  I guess arts is the reason, huh?
6 >
7 > Yep. As long as a KDE application doesn't have an audio interface of
8 > its own, it uses arts for audio output. If arts isn't available, it
9 > will not be able to output sound.
10
11 You can also configure KDE to use an external player for system sounds
12
13 Control Centre -> Sound & Multimedia -> System Notifications -> Player Options
17 Neil Bothwick
18
19 There are only 10 types of people in the world:
20 those who understand binary and those who don't.