From: Andrey Moshbear <andrey.vul@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Upgrading gcc: both 4.4 and 4.5 needed?
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2011 19:37:41
1 On Tue, Nov 15, 2011 at 13:58, Jarry <mr.jarry@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 > today I upgraded gcc from 4.4.5 to the last stable version
4 > 4.5.3-r1. I followed "Gentoo GCC Upgrade Guide":
5 >
6 > # emerge -uav gcc
7 > # gcc-config 2
8 > # env-update && source /etc/profile
9 > # emerge --oneshot libtool
10 >
11 > # emerge --depclean
12 > # revdep-rebuild
13 >
14 > But at the and I noticed gcc 4.4 has not been unmerged
15 > and my "world" file is somehow larger. To my surprise,
16 > it contains these lines:
17 >
18 > sys-devel/gcc
19 > sys-devel/gcc:4.4
20 >
21 > I did full backup before, so I compared world-file before
22 > and after gcc-upgrade just to find out, these two lines
23 > have been really inserted now, during gcc-upgrade. And my
24 > question is: what does it mean? Does my system need now
25 > both gcc 4.4 and 4.5? Why is actually gcc in world-file,
26 > when it is part of system?
29 Because your forgot the -1 / --oneshot flag when manually upgrading gcc.
30 However, in system, multiple gcc slots do not exist, so if you need gcc:4.4 for
31 backwards compatibility or gcc:4.6 for forwards compatibility, it'll show up in
32 your world file.