From: LK <linuxrocksrulers@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] grub vs grub 2
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2012 18:41:44
1 On 120214, at 19:24, mike@×××××××.us wrote:
2 > On 02/14/2012 01:08 PM, LK wrote:
3 >> BTW: So is grub0 still supported by gentoo / maintained by themselves?
4 >> Does that matter(it is boot, no network stuff) ?
5 > GRUB Legacy (that is, GRUB versions 0.xx) is still the default in
6 > Gentoo. In order to use GRUB 2 (that is, GRUB version 1.99 in Portage)
7 > you'll have to unmask sys-boot/grub-1.99-r2.
8 The thing is, IMO grub0 is better / simplier.
9
10 > GRUB 2 is significantly more convenient and powerful and does not
11 > require the nearly 80 patches that the legacy version does in order to
12 > work properly on the system. It can also manage its own configuration
13 > file using its new grub-mkconfig (grub2-mkconfig in Gentoo) program,
14 > which supports the use of scripts/programs to generate grub.cfg entries
15 > for booting the kernel and other operating systems.
16 As you read above, I prefer grub0.* because it has config files, not
17 commands which will automize it. For ubuntu I can understand that,
18 but configuring boot is too simple to require automisation. When
19 now automatic script fails, is there a way to do it by hand? Ubuntu
20 disallows editing it by hand. Now I am confused by the 80 patches
21 for legacy grub =( afaik.
22
23 PS: If you know how to get rid of any background image, could you
24 say how?
25
26 THX + TIA.