From: Alec Ten Harmsel <alec@××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Why is depclean trying to remove python-3.4.1?
Date: Fri, 05 Dec 2014 11:48:11
1 On 12/05/2014 06:37 AM, Mick wrote:
2 >
3 > I don't have python in world, because it is always installed as a dependency.
4 > However, I just noticed this in 'emerge --info':
5 >
6 > PYTHON_SINGLE_TARGET="python2_7" PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7 python3_3"
7 >
8 > Hmm ... if I don't have PYTHON_TARGETS in my make.conf, where else is this
9 > being set?
14 PYTHON_TARGETS is set to "python2_7 python3_3" in the system profile
15 (portage being written in python naturally requires a system dependency
16 on Python). Unless you need a specific version of Python, I personally
17 would just leave it to the system profile, as it will be updated
18 automatically when necessary (I think python3_3 -> python3_4 will be
19 solid in a few months).
20
21 Also, 3.4 probably got installed because the python3_3 -> python3_4
22 transition was actually committed for a day or two until loads of issues
23 became apparent and this transition was reverted. iirc the revert was
24 not because porting from python3.3 to python3.4 is difficult, just due
25 to ebuilds not specifying python3_4 as supported, which is why I imagine
26 this will be solid in a few months.
27
28 Alec