From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] SDD, what features to look for and what to avoid.
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2020 06:58:02
1 Howdy,
2
3 Tuxic's recent thread brought me back to looking at SDDs again.  I
4 recently learned about HDDs having SMR instead of PMR and how that can
5 be a negative in some situations.  I've since found out that one of my
6 /home drives is a SMR.  I didn't know to look at that when I bought it.
7 So, before I find a SDD to buy, what are some things I should look for
8 it to have and what are things I should avoid?  I'm sure SMR and PMR
9 doesn't apply here but I bet you gurus have ran up on things the hard
10 way to either avoid or make sure SDDs have.
11
12 As is, the OS itself is on sda.  That includes everything except /home
13 which is on two drives using LVM.  It's about 9TBs or so I think.  One
14 6TB drive, SMR I'm afraid to admit, and a 3TB drive that I'm pretty sure
15 is PMR. I may put /var on a HDD since it changes a good bit.  Everything
16 else, except /home, would be on the SDD.
17
18 Anyone care to share?
19
20 While at it, if I look for a NAS type HDD, would all those be PMR
21 instead of SMR?  From my understanding that should be correct.  Mostly I
22 buy WD, Seagate and Samsung.  I've had a WD fail, I've had a Seagate
23 fail. I'm not looking for a HDD flame up.  O_o  I'm starting to look at
24 HGST.  I think I got the spelling correct.  Never had one tho.
25
26 Thoughts?
27
28 Dale