From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] spoof mac address
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2013 22:49:05
1 On 10/09/2013 23:50, Joseph wrote:
2 > I forgot to mention.
3 > My router is an old 486-box running freesco. So I'm trying to find out
4 > if the router is the problem with slow connection.
5 > as my download speed on cable is only 3.7Mbps and it should be about
6 > 15Mbps up to 25Mbps
7 > upload speed is 1.5Mbps
11 What speed NIC do you have in that 486?
12
13 10M? 100M? And is it running full duplex?
14
15 3.7M is, IIRC, about what I'd expect from 10M half-duplex. NIC cards of
16 that era were prone to getting auto-negotiation badly wrong.
17 Even an old 486 should be able to deal with 100M traffic easily.
18
19 Even so, I'd still not trust your cable provider's advice. There is
20 still a good chance the problem really is with the cable connection.
23 > --
24 > Joseph
25 >