From: Kevin O'Gorman <kogorman@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: revdep-rebuild Not Fixing Broken Links
Date: Fri, 08 Apr 2011 18:52:45
1 On Thu, Apr 7, 2011 at 10:38 AM, Brennan Shacklett
2 <bp.shacklett@×××××.com>wrote:
3
4 > > I think that package is there, but I'll check this weekend. I didn't
5 > feel like carrying my laptop today.
6 > > It would be nice if I just had to install it, but I would think
7 > revdep-rebuild should pull it in . . . or doesn't revdep-rebuild work that
8 > way?
9 >
10 > revdep-rebuild will only rebuild the package with the broken link. It won't
11 > pull in anything (unless the ebuild pulls something else in), so
12 > revdep-rebuild can't fix an issue that needs another package that the ebuild
13 > doesn't depend on.
14 >
15 > --Brennan Shacklett
18 Moreover, you may want to run "emerge -a --depclean", which just might
19 flush the package(s) with broken links.
20
21 I run that manually once in a while, but regularly clean a bunch of other
22 things with a script I call "cleanup",
23 - #!/bin/bash
24 - dispatch-conf
25 - revdep-rebuild
26 - lafilefixer --justfixit
27 - perl-cleaner all
28 - locale-gen --keep --quiet
29
30 You have to be prepared to respond to dispatch-conf, but the others run to
31 completion by themselves.
34 Kevin O'Gorman, PhD