From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Ghost cyber threat
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2015 00:53:48
1 >>> > Does anybody know more about this "security flaw in the open-source Linux
2 >>> > GNU C Library"
3 >>> >
4 >>> > http://www.theglobeandmail.com/technology/linux-makers-release-patch-to-thwart-new-ghost-cyber-threat/article22662060/?cmpid=rss1
5 >>>
6 >>>
7 >>> I updated a system of mine that was using an old version of glibc and
8 >>> rebooted. I can't do a full emerge world there or use various other
9 >>> portage tools due to the peculiarities of my current situation. Could
10 >>> I still be vulnerable?
11 >>
12 >> Your system may be vulnerable to this issue only if you have
13 >> packages statically linked with vulnerable glibc libs, so most
14 >> likely — no. But your system may be affected by a plenty of other
15 >> issues in various packages.
16 >>
17 >> At the very least you should apply all GLSAs to your system: while
18 >> they don't encompass all vulnerabilities, they should warn you
19 >> about most common and important ones.
22 > I don't think I have USE=static anywhere. Any way to confirm?
23 >
24 > I've been watching glsa.gentoo.org (a little dismayed that this glibc
25 > vulnerability isn't there yet) but you prompted me to give glsa-check
26 > a try. It's telling me I'm vulnerable to some that I clearly am not
27 > vulnerable to. Do I need to clear a cache somewhere?
30 glsa-check is working fine, it was a slotted issue. Still curious
31 about a way to check for statically linked packages.
32
33 - Grant